Saturday, May 18, 2013

Catching up with Ice Caves

So. Correct me if in wrong, because I keep writing these when I am off line and can't see the posts that I have already made. I have covered the following countries and cities

Czech Republic
Praha (Prague)
Kutna Hora
Austria
Wien(Vienna)
Salzburg
Germany
Füssen(Disney castle)
Munich
Slovenia
Ljublijana
Lake Bled

That should be everything so far. Let me know if I forgot to write a post about somewhere.

So. Moving on from Lake Bled. Where did we go?? Back to Salzburg!!! Because we wanted to sing on the mountain tops and in the Abby :) or maybe we just really wanted to go to the worlds largest ice caves. Now, be sure to read closely. No pictures were allowed to be taken inside. So I didn't. But somehow there were pictures on my phone when I left. Darn technology has a mind of its own. :) yay for the sneaky Cowan gene(sp?)

So. We dropped our bags off at our hotel for the night in Salzburg and jumped back Ina train to go to Werfen. After we got off the train and getting slightly lost in the little downtown we found the bus to drive us way up the mountain. It was like a 15min drive....up hill. Yay for cars. That's all I have to say.



So after the car ride up. We still had a 20 min hike






5min gondola ride








Then another 20 min hike and there you are. At the mouth of the ice caves. Now for those who think the ice caves in Idaho are big. Nope. Not even close. These ones are HUGE and I didn't even get to see all of it. So. Here are the mysterious pictures that I have no idea how they got on my phone :)



We got to use old school lanterns :) to light our way through the 0degree C. So not they cold ;)


The guide had strips of magnesium, I believe, and just burned that to really brighten up the areas so we could see everything.

So I am going to post a handful of pictures. But if you want to see more. They are all on Facebook and if you can't get on Facebook. Email me and when I get home(mid June) ill figure a way to get you them.




















Though I still wanted to go further into the cave and experience more and more of the extensions that can't be discovered by tourist :( we were still very happy to have some sun.




So after this fun adventure. We went back to Salzburg by train and then the next day was fun for me. It was a Saturday and Salzburg had a marathon or some running event. I got there while everyone was cleaning up. But the farmers market style market was still thriving. So while autumn explored Mozart's home





I went and explored the farmers market. And by exploring it. I mean I bought strawberries


Cheese, creamed pretzel, and bread.

So of course on our train ride to Hungary, we did not go hungry.




This is Kasey, I mentioned meeting her in Ljublijana. We met Her at the train station in Salzburg and went to Budapest together.

So next post is going to be about Budapest, Hungary.


- Posted on the go.

No comments:

Post a Comment